Merit Specialty targets non-CAT property risks with target values per building/location ranging from $1M to $10M and total insured values of up to $50M for multiple location risks. Our premium target ranges from $15K to $100K, with a $5K policy minimum premium. Property exposures considered include non-sprinklered risks, new purchases, vacant buildings, older buildings, ex-wind placements and risks with prior losses.
It is important to note our appetite varies based on geographical considerations and size of risk. Please contact a Merit Specialty property underwriter to discuss specific opportunities.
The appetite below highlights target classes of businesses and occupancies, as well as those that fall outside our appetite. For classes of business and occupancies not listed, risk acceptability will be determined by individual risk characteristics, venue and terms.
- Target appetite
- Manufacturing, light to moderate hazard occupancies
- Distributors and wholesalers
- Retail and mercantile
- Real estate and lessors risk only (LRO), non-habitational occupancies
- Warehouse and storage
- Industrial parks
- Nursing homes and assisted living facilities
- Bars and taverns
- Night clubs
- Music venues
- Not in appetite
- Recycling occupancies, including tenant operations within LRO risks
- Cannabis occupancies, including tenant operations within LRO risks
- Adult entertainment risks
- Buildings on a historical register
- Air-supported or greenhouse structures
Additionally, we are not a market for the following property exposures or coverage options:
- Excess or quota share property placements
- Single peril risks
- Flood and earthquake (DIC) coverages