Best practices for managing fleet safety
Your fleet of vehicles is an important asset to your company operations, and has significant exposure to loss and production expectations. Whether driving pickup trucks or heavier DOT-regulated trucks, it is essential to develop a risk management approach to minimize vehicles’ crash potential.
Think of your fleet as two separate risks: the driver and the vehicle itself. Each needs maintenance and proper attention to control unwanted incidents. While the lists below do not include all possible risks, they form a good platform for your own fleet risk assessment to help avoid injuries, property damage and liability losses.
The lists below include common vehicle operation risks, as well as links to Hanover resources to help you manage that risk.
- Establish a written fleet safety program that includes a distracted driving policy
- Provide training to all drivers
- Assess effectiveness of your fleet safety program
- Perform frequent—at least annually—MVR checks on all drivers
The list below includes best practice tips to monitor and maintain fleet operations, and links to The Hanover resources that can help you manage that risk.
- Review your SMS report for DOT-registered vehicles
- Develop a pre-trip inspection process and train workers on proper load securement methods
- Ensure maintenance schedules are followed and drivers are instructed to report any problems immediately
Your Hanover resources
Hanover policyholder benefits include not only our comprehensive coverage, but also access to risk solutions partner services, including:
- Equipment theft prevention and recovery products
- Background check services
- Disaster and recovery planning services
- Industry-specific training resources
- Alarm system testing and maintenance services
- Automatic sprinkler testing and maintenance services
Visit our Hanover auto safety page at hanover.com/risksolutions/auto-safety.html
All products are underwritten by The Hanover Insurance Company or one of its insurance company subsidiaries or affiliates ("The Hanover"). Coverage may not be available in all jurisdictions and is subject to the company underwriting guidelines and the issued policy. This material is provided for informational purposes only and does not provide any coverage.