There are some things even the best coverage can't replace. Protect your priceless possessions, memories and time with water damage prevention options from The Hanover.
Proactive protection against water damage
That's how likely you are to sustain damage from a plumbing leak than by a fire. It is also 6x more likely than being burglarized*
of all home losses were due to non-weather-related water damage**
Average length of impact of potential life disruption, including being out of house during repairs, from water damage to a home in current market conditions**
Prevent water damage in your home
Water damage is one of the most common home claims and even a minor issue can cause a major inconvenience. It can strike in many forms that have nothing to do with weather: broken pipes, leaky toilets and washing machines, clogged drains and more.
That's why The Hanover has two highly effective options to help keep your home dry. Plus, you'll be eligible for a reduced rate if these devices are installed.
Water shutoff devices
An automatic water shutoff device can react to a problem when you can't. This device can detect unusual water flow activity, usually caused by a leak, and automatically turn off the water to your house to help prevent further damage.
This is the recommended device to use for maximum efficiency and results. See our vendor for more details.
- Installation steps to take
- Find a plumber who is certified and trained on these devices and can help you buy and install them. Our vendor partner can provide a list of preferred plumbers.
- Assess the size of your pipes to determine the appropriate device when purchasing. Your plumber can assist with this, as needed.
- Enlist your plumber to order and install the device in a second visit.
- Once installed, test the device to make sure it works properly, as well as your device app if one comes with it.
Looking out for water damage is a 24/7 job. Water sensor technology can stay on top of any potential water leaks within their area.
Unlike the water shutoff device, a sensor will not stop a leak. But it will alert you to a potential issue for you to address before it becomes a bigger problem.
Refer to our chart below for more details to help make the decision that is best for you.
- Setup instructions
- Identify key areas such as: your washing machine, under sinks, and by your dishwasher.
- If your sensors come with an app, install it on your phone and sync the device.
- Consult your instruction manual to get specific details and place 3-5 sensors in those key areas on the floor beside them.
|Partner||Device||Installation||Hanover device discounts||Special Hanover pricing||Reduced policy rate||Partner website|
|Home security kit that includes one or two water sensors||DIY or professional***||Up to 60%||
7-piece set (with one sensor): $150
12-piece set (with two sensors): $200
|Sensor or shutoff device||
Shutoff device: Professional
Shutoff device: Options start at $550 and up to about $1,000 (all not including installation)
*** at additional cost
What to do when pipes burst
Water damage by the numbers
Putting the plug in water damage
* Source: Leak Defense
** Source: The Hanover