When the unexpected strikes, it can be challenging to know what to do next. That’s why we’ve made it easy to report incidents for Human Services online—to enable our claims team to get ahead and investigate potential claims as early as possible.
Report an incident
What is an occurrence and what should you do when one happens?
An accident or unexpected event that is likely to result in a claim should be reported to The Hanover. To report an incident to The Hanover, simply email firstname.lastname@example.org. Here are examples of situations that your organization should report when you become aware:
- Occurrences likely to result in a claim
- Hospitalizations resulting from an injury or occurrence
- Allegations of abuse or molestation
- Medication errors requiring treatment
- Deaths with unusual or suspicious circumstances
- Equipment-related incidents which result in an injury
- Outbreaks of communicable disease that were required to be reported to local or state health departments
- Threats of litigation or complaints of negligent care by a resident or family member
- Negative media releases
- Attorney requests for records
- Resident-to-resident altercations with psychological or physical injuries
- Visitor incidents resulting in an injury or alleged injury
- Elopements, suicide, or attempted suicide
Why report an occurrence that may lead to a potential claim?
Time matters. By reporting a potential claim when it occurs, it enables The Hanover to proactively investigate in a timely manner, to help minimize potential losses.
It is critical to investigate as early as possible while memories of the incident are fresh to assure the accuracy of information and make it easier to contact and interview witnesses. The more time elapses between an occurrence and an investigation, the more likely witnesses may move away, seek other employment, or be contacted first by a claimant’s attorney.
Risk solutions for human services
The Hanover’s Risk Solutions team can help tailor a proactive plan to your business to help prevent losses and effectively manage risk based on your unique industry.
Get proactive about risk management
How to report a claim
If a claim or suit is received by a customer, the insurance policy requires them to:
- Notify The Hanover as soon as possible by reporting online or emailing email@example.com.
- Include copies of any demands, notices, summonses or legal papers received in connection with the claim or suit.
- Maintain all related documents in a secure location.
- Cooperate with The Hanover in the investigation, settlement of the claim, or defense against the suit.
- Not attempt to communicate with the resident/ claimant family member about the claim/lawsuit.
- Refrain from discussing the claim with anyone, including fellow employees.
- Avoid making any changes to the resident record.
- Not voluntarily make a payment, assume any obligation, or incur any expense without The Hanover’s consent.
Immediately record the manner, date in which the claim or lawsuit was received.
*Reporting of an occurrence or claim is not a guarantee of coverage.
Report a claim online