Planning a winter getaway?
Make your return home as stress free as your vacation with this preparation “to do” list.
60°F will conserve energy and reduce the stress on your furnace when heating the house on your return
30% of Burglaries are through unlocked windows or doors. Windows are left unlocked more often than doors.
Winter to do:
- Arrange for someone to plow or shovel so your home appears occupied.
- Turn the thermostat down to 60°F and leave interior doors open to circulate air.
- Put lights on auto-timers and consider outdoor motion detectors.
Don’t forget to:
- Lock your doors — and windows too.
- Suspend newspaper and mail delivery.
- Purge the refrigerator of perishables, run the disposal and take the trash out.
- Ask a neighbor to keep an eye on your place and leave a key with someone.
It’s a good time to:
- Run a computer back-up and then turn your computer off.
- Address maintenance issues so they don’t snowball while you’re gone.
- Conduct a home inventory and make sure your insurance policies are up-to-date.
These tips and others are available from Homeminders® and VacationSafe™, services provided as part of The Hanover Group Platinum Experience.